These grounds were used as a Union campground by U.S. troops. When the troops left, the Confederates buried their dead on the west side. It was then bought by the U.S. government in 1868 for use as a military burial ground for occupation troops. A wall was erected between Union and Confederate sections but was taken down in 1913. The cemetery is one of the few national cemeteries where Confederate soldiers are buried.
Little Rock, Arkansas | The driving tour includes detailed exhibit panels at Brownsville, near Lonoke; Reed's Bridge at Jacksonville; Ashley's Mills and Willow Beach Lake near Scott; and Fourche Bayou and Riverfront Park in Little Rock.