Construction on this "Third System" brick fort began in 1826 to guard Beaufort Inlet and Beaufort Harbor, North Carolina's only major deepwater ocean port. The fort was then garrisoned in 1834 and named after U.S. Senator Nathaniel Macon. On April 14, 1861, local militia seized the fort for the state of North Carolina and the Confederacy. Union forces under Maj. Gen. Ambrose E. Burnside recaptured the fort in 1862. For the duration of the war, the fort protected ships recoaling in Beaufort.
Oak City, North Carolina | Located on Rainbow Bluff and overlooking the Roanoke River, the fort protected Roanoke River Valley farms and the Weldon Railroad bridge (which was critical to the Army of Northern Virginia for receiving supplies) from destruction by Federal gunboats.
Join t Fight
Donate today to preserve Civil War battlefields and the nation’s history for generations to come.