Located just two blocks from the White House, the present New York Avenue Presbyterian Church is a reproduction of the original church where President Lincoln and his family regularly attended services beginning in 1861. The church's pastor, Rev. Dr. Phineas Gurley, became a friend of the president and later led prayers at Lincoln's bedside when he was assassinated. Lincoln's pew is preserved in the center of the church.
Washington, DC | During the Civil War, Lincoln and his family resided here from June - November of 1862, 1863 and 1864, and the president would commute daily by horseback or carriage 3 miles from the Soldiers' Home to the White House.
Washington, DC | The memorial sits at the base of the West Front of the Capitol Building, opposite from the Lincoln Memorial, so that the general who fought for the Union could forever face the president who saved the Union.