Fort Brown, established in 1846, housed Federal troops during the Mexican War. In 1861 Texas state troops occupied the fort. With the southern Atlantic coast blockaded, Brownsville became an important Confederate port, with cotton and war material flowing back and forth. To eliminate the trade a Union army landed near the mouth of the Rio Grande in November 1863, occupying Fort Brown and Brownsville. Eight months later a strong Confederate army drove out the Federal forces and held the fort until the end of the war. The original hospital building is now the administration building for Texas Southmost College. Other extant buildings include a medical laboratory, guardhouse, and morgue. The Historic Brownsville Museum houses materials related to Brownsville's long military history.
Brownsville, Texas | The site represented the last known land engagement fought as part of the Civil War and the ongoing conflict between the Confederacy's Trans-Mississippi Department and the Union army
Comfort, Texas | The oldest Civil War monument in Texas (dedicated August 10, 1866), this limestone obelisk is inscribed with the names of the thirty-six men captured and killed in the Battle of the Nueces, in Kinney County, on August 10, 1862.
Join t Fight
Want to preserve Palmito Ranch Battlefield? Donate today to save Palmito Ranch Battlefield and hundreds of other battlefields across America.