Established by Confederate forces in the summer of 1861 to control the Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike, this camp at 4,400 feet about sea level was one of the highest of the Civil War. Although Confederate Maj. Gen. Edward Johnson's troops won the battle against Union forces under the command of Brig. Gen. R.H. Milroy, the loss of men because of the harsh winter climate and the logistical nightmare of keeping the camp supplied contributed to the decision to abandon it in April 1862.
Join t Fight
Donate today to preserve Civil War battlefields and the nation’s history for generations to come.