The Johnson House is the only documented, accessible and intact stop on the Underground Railroad open to the public, located in Philadelphia. Built in 1768, the Johnson House was home to generations of a Quaker family active in the abolitionist movement to end the enslavement of African Americans. The Johnsons transformed their home into a safe place for those escaping slavery. It became a stop where men, women and children could rest and be refreshed as they journeyed north to freedom. The house also stood during the Battle of Germantown in 1777 and received some damage as a result of it.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania | HSP is one of the nation's largest nongovernmental repositories of documentary materials, housing more than 600,000 books, 300,000 graphics, and 20 million manuscript items.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania | The museum contains an extensive collection of Civil War artifacts, battle relics, personal memorabilia, paintings, documents, and photographs that were initially assembled by the veterans who formed Post 2 of the Grand Army of the Republic.