Fort Washita was established in 1842, in the Choctaw Nation of Indian Territory and was used as a staging ground for the Mexican War. In the 1850s it was a United States Army Artillery School. Famous Civil War leaders who served earlier at Fort Washita included: Randolph B. Marcy, George McClellan, William G. Belknap, Theophylus H. Holmes, and numerous others. Federal troops abandoned Fort Washita in 1861, and it was occupied by Confederate troops during the Civil War as the headquarters of Brig. Gen. Douglas Cooper. Fort Washita National Historic Landmark today includes ruins, restored barracks, and the parade ground.
Atoka, OK | This museum includes memorabilia from The Battle of Middle Boggy, and the battle is reenacted every third year at a nearby site by the Oklahoma Historical Society and Atoka County Historical Society.
Oklahoma City, OK | As a division of the Oklahoma Historical Society, this history center tells the comprehensive story of Oklahoma from the beginning, commemorating the Civil War and its impact on Oklahoma and the Union.