Fort Stanton was established in May 1855 as a staging area for sending troops to control the Apache Indians. It grew as a garrison and was manned by Union soldiers at the start of the Civil War. The Fort was suddenly abandoned and set on fire by the Union in August of 1861; however the fire was extinguished by torrential rain, and much of the fort was salvaged. Fort Stanton was subsequently occupied by Confederate troops until October 1862, when Kit Carson and five companies of New Mexico volunteers reoccupied the fort.
Socorro, New Mexico| One of the largest forts constructed in the West, Fort Craig was situated strategically on the primary road between New Mexico and Mexico and supplied U.S. troops in 1862 to thwart the invasion of Texas Confederates.
Fort Bliss, TX | This historic fort, a U.S. Army post established in 1848 to assert authority over lands acquired after the Mexican War, served as headquarters for Confederate forces in the Southwest during the Civil War.
Join t Fight
Want to preserve Glorieta Pass Battlefield? Donate today to save Glorieta Pass Battlefield and hundreds of other battlefields across America.