Fort Davis, established in 1854, was the first military post to guard the route westward and offer haven by the precious waters of Limpia Creek. Col. John R. Baylor's Confederate cavalry brigade reached Fort Davis on April 13, 1861, and Union troops withdrew in compliance with orders already received from Brig. Gen. David E Twiggs. The Confederates remained there for a few months, then vacated the post. Federal troops returned in June 1867, but little of value remained and construction ensued.
Fort Bliss, TX | This historic fort, a U.S. Army post established in 1848 to assert authority over lands acquired after the Mexican War, served as headquarters for Confederate forces in the Southwest during the Civil War.
Socorro, New Mexico| One of the largest forts constructed in the West, Fort Craig was situated strategically on the primary road between New Mexico and Mexico and supplied U.S. troops in 1862 to thwart the invasion of Texas Confederates.
Comfort, TX | The oldest Civil War monument in Texas (dedicated August 10, 1866), this limestone obelisk is inscribed with the names of the thirty-six men captured and killed in the Battle of the Nueces, in Kinney County, on August 10, 1862.
Join t Fight
Donate today to preserve Civil War battlefields and the nation’s history for generations to come.