Default Visit Place Woodgrain
Historic Site

Fendall Hall

You are here

SHARE THIS

 
Alabama

917 West Barbour Street
Eufaula, AL 36027, USA

Website: www.ahc.alabama.gov/properties/fendall/fendall

Fendall Hall is the home of Captain S. H. Dent. Captain Dent volunteered with the Eufaula Rifles and served as part of the honor guard for the inauguration of Jefferson Davis. He was eventually put charge of his own battery of cannon known as the Dent Battery. This battery was attached to the Army of the Tennessee and saw action at Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, and the Atlanta Campaign. A decendant of Capt. Dent, Charles M. Crook, has recently written a book, "Fendall Hall," that contains letters from Capt. Dent to his wife Anna. Anna lived at Fendall Hall with her parents while Capt. Dent was fighting in the Civil War. The soldiers of Dent's battery surrendered on May 9, 1865 in Meridian, Mississippi. Capt. Dent returned to Eufaula with the Confederate flag that once flew over his battery. It is now on display in the museum room at Fendall Hall. Fendall Hall is a property of the Alabama Historical Commission.