Built in 1830, the Carter House was the location of the 1864 Battle of Franklin. The house and grounds, which served as a Federal command post before the battle and as a hospital after, are today preserved on ten acres. In this evening battle lasting only five hours, 6,000 Confederate soldiers, including six generals, were killed. More than one thousand bullet holes are still visible from the battle.
Franklin, Tennessee | In November 1864 he fort was abandoned when the Federals withdrew to Nashville during the night, but it was re-occupied two weeks later as Hood's defeated army withdrew from the state.