Civil War Trust’s map of land preserved at the Battle of Malvern Hill
The night after the Battle of Glendale, the Union Army of the Potomac continued its retreat. In the predawn hours, they halted on an elevated plateau known as Malvern Hill and prepared to received another attack. It was the first time in the Seven Days that the entire Federal force was united on one battlefield. That afternoon Robert E. Lee launched a series of major assaults against the Union position. Though fighting was desperate and close--hand-to-hand in some places--the Union line held. Though this last of the Seven Days’ battles was a victory for McClellan’s army, the Yankees continued their retreat to the James River. The Confederate capital of Richmond was secure.
Prior 1987 the National Park Service preserved 130 acres of the Malvern Hill battlefield, consisting primarily of the Union defensive position. In the last three decades, the Civil War Trust and its partners have added considerably to this number, preserving the fields over which the Confederates advanced on July 1, 1862, and the site of the historic Crew House. Today, 953 acres of the Malvern Hill battlefield have been preserved.