On the morning of June 9, 1863, Union cavalry splashed across the Rappahannock River at Beverly Ford, catching their Confederate counterparts unawares and initiating the Battle of Brandy Station, the largest cavalry battle ever fought in North America. Thanks to its members and partners, the Civil War Trust has saved more than 2,000 acres at this landmark battlefield. Now we have the chance to save 244 more acres at Brandy Station, two pieces of hallowed ground that had been previously unprotected and at risk.
After bravely withstanding several Union attacks, Confederate General W.H.F. "Rooney" Lee fell back from his position along a stone wall, near the Rappahannock River, and made a stand on the northern end of Fleetwood Hill. Here—on 70 acres the Civil War Trust is working to preserve—Lee withstood yet another attack led by Union General John Buford in what one observer called "the finest fighting of the war."
Farther to the south, near the village of Stevensburg, Union Colonel Alfred Duffié’s division of cavalry met stiff resistance from two regiments of Confederate cavalry posted along Hansbrough’s Ridge. These two regiments—men from South Carolina and Virginia—held Duffié’s troops at arm's length until the Yankees were called away to assist in the fight at Fleetwood Hill. The Trust is now working to save the site of this bold stand—174 acres at Hansbrough’s Ridge that also served as a winter quarters site for the Army of the Potomac in the winter of 1863-1864. We now have the chance to save these two crucial pieces of hallowed ground, adding to the more than 2,000 acres we have already saved at Brandy Station.
Help Save Brandy Station!