Kelly's Ford from the southern bank
From this position Confederate sharpshooters held up the Union cavalry attempting to force a crossing of the Rappahannock River.
The stone wall that stopped the first Confederate charge
After crossing the river, Union troopers took up a position behind this stone wall and repulsed Confederate horsemen with the help of their rapid-firing new carbines.
The John Pelham Memorial
Confederate artillery officer "Gallant" John Pelham led the first charge. He was mortally wounded while trying to lead his men towards a gap in the wall.
The Brannin House
The Brannin House, now private property, was used as a field hospital after the battle. The stairs still bear bloody footprints from the men who fought for life inside.
The second Confederate charge
The Civil War Trust is fighting to preserve this land, where the bloodiest combat of the day took place as Confederate horsemen tried once more to check the relentless Union advance.
The small stream of Carter's Run (denoted by the wilder growth) separated the two forces as Fitzhugh Lee desperately tried to rally his grey horsemen after the failure of his second charge. The Civil War Trust is working to save this land.
The Kelly's Ford Battlefield
This is a portion of the view from the northeastern edge of the 964-acre tract the Civil War Trust is trying to save. This tract contains nearly the entire field upon which thousands of men proved their honor and their mettle on March 17, 1863.