Skip to main content

Civil War Trust

Page from the Past

Secession Hall’s Fiery Rhetoric, Fiery Demise
The Center for Civil War Photography; Hallowed Ground Magazine, Winter 2010

At 1:15 p.m., on December 20, 1860, the first delegate stepped onto the stage of the South Carolina Institute Hall and signed the Ordinance of Secession for South Carolina. When 169 of his colleagues had followed suit, the first state had officially seceded from the Union. Within minutes, the Charleston Mercury printed its now famous, “The Union is Dissolved” broadside and South Carolina Institute Hall’s common name was changed to Secession Hall.

Secession Hall

Secession Hall, 1860. Flanked by the Circular Congregational Church and by Nicholas Fehrenbach’s Teetotal Restaurant.
(Justin A. Shaw)

 

Secession Hall

The Interior of Institute Hall, 1860. Although this image was recorded at an exhibition sporting Oriental bazaar décor, its shows the very stage upon which was signed the Ordinance of Secession.
(Library of Congress)

Secession Hall

2,500 Person Capacity. The space necessary for the enthusiastic throngs that gathered to see South Carolina secede. This engraving shows not the signing ceremony, but rather a meeting to endorse the creation of the secession convention. (Library of Congress)

While Secession Hall’s name shall live forever, its bricks and mortar did not. In less than one year, the building was destroyed — not by Yankee bombardment, but by a fire that ravaged downtown Charleston on December 11, 1861. The fire swept from the Cooper River to the Ashley River, leaving a swath of desolation in its wake. Ironically, the fire that burned Secession Hall was accidentally started by slaves cooking dinner.

Luckily, at least for Secession Hall’s legacy, photographers and other artists captured images of the famous building, both before and after its demise.

Secession Hall

The Ruins of Secession Hall, 1865. A man lounges in the approximate location of the main entrance on Meeting Street. (Library of Congress)

Center For Civil War Photography LogoThanks to The Center for Civil War Photography

CCWP is a nonprofit organization devoted to one of the most exciting and compelling areas of Civil War scholarship and discovery. To learn more about CCWP’s mission and photographic finds still being made on a regular basis, visit www.civilwarphotography.org.

 

Want the Latest? Follow us on Twitter and Facebook:

Our Sponsors

Powered by Convio
nonprofit software