Skip to main content

Civil War Trust

« Back to Maps  |  More on Hatcher's Run »

Maps of Hatcher's Run, Virginia (1865)
Battle of Hatcher's Run

 

CWPT Map of the Battle of Hatcher's Run  (2005)
February 5-7, 1865

On February 5, Bvt. Brig. Gen. David Gregg’s cavalry division rode out to the Boydton Plank Road via Ream's Station and Dinwiddie Court House in an attempt to intercept Confederate supply trains.  Maj. Gen. G.K. Warren with the V Corps crossed Hatcher’s Run and took up a blocking position on the Vaughan Road to prevent interference with Gregg’s operations.  Two divisions of the II Corps under Maj. Gen. A.A. Humphreys shifted west to near Armstrong’s Mill to cover Warren’s right flank.  Late in the day, Maj. Gen. John B. Gordon attempted to turn Humphreys right flank near the mill but was repulsed.  During the night, the Federals were reinforced by two divisions.  On February 6, Gregg returned to Gravelly Run on the Vaughan Road from his unsuccessful raid and was attacked by elements of Brig. Gen. John Pegram’s Confederate division.  Warren pushed forward a reconnaissance in the vicinity of Dabney’s Mill and was attacked by Pegram’s and Maj. Gen. William Mahone’s divisions.  Pegram was killed in the action.  Although the Union advance was stopped, the Federals extended their siegeworks to the Vaughan Road crossing of Hatcher’s Run. 
 

Learn More About Civil War Trust's Map Reprint Policy

Want the Latest? Follow us on Twitter and Facebook:

 

Our Sponsors