Ball's Bluff Battlefield Restoration Program
BY GEORGE E. TABB, JR.
In about 2004, the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority embarked on what is now known as the Ball’s Bluff Battlefield Restoration Program. The purpose of the program is to return the Battlefield to its appearance in October 1861 when the final battle was fought there and to make battlefield interpretation efforts more effective. The first phase of the effort started with under-brushing the forested areas on the 12 acre portion of the area where the final fighting took place on October 21, 1861. In January 2010, we embarked on a major tree cutting effort to clear most of the trees from the same 12 acre area. The tree tops and brush are ground into mulch that is used on park trails. The merchantable timber is harvested and sent to a local saw mill where the logs are turned into lumber for use at Ball’s Bluff and other parks within the Northern Virginia Regional Park system. Tree tops and other wood are also turned into firewood. Should you have any questions or concerns regarding the Battlefield Restoration Program, please direct them to the Park Manager at TEMPLEHALLFARM@nvrpa.org or by phone to 703-779-9372.
George E. Tabb, Jr. is the Park Manager for the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority.