Skip to main content

Civil War Trust

Civil War Trust
For Immediate Release: 11/02/11

Civil War Trust, Virginia Officials Announce Preservation of Grant's Headquarters at Wilderness Battlefield

Civil War Trust and Virginia Department of Transportation join forces to save key battlefield site on the historic Orange Turnpike

(Wilderness Battlefield, Va.) – At a news conference today, the  Civil War Trust announced the successful completion of efforts to protect the site of Ulysses S. Grant’s daytime headquarter at the Battle of the Wilderness.  Private donations to the Civil War Trust, the nation’s largest nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting Civil War battlefields, were augmented by matching funds from the Commonwealth of Virginia, notably a $108,000 Transportation Enhancement Grant.

Efforts to preserve the property on Route 20 in Orange County were first announced in June 2011.  Although small, covering just 1.4 acres, the property’s historic pedigree as the location of Grant’s daytime headquarters during the battle made it a must have for preservationists.  Strong partnerships in the state and region helped smooth the transaction.  The Trust formally concluded fundraising for the site in October. 

“I am honored to declare that this piece of American history has been saved forever,” said Trust president James Lighthizer.  “Today’s victory would not have been possible without the support and persistence of our supporters at the national, state and local levels.  By working together, we are able to ensure that the places where history unfolded are protected for future generations to visit and explore.”

The event’s keynote speaker, Virginia Secretary of Transportation Sean T. Connaughton, noted that today’s addition to the preserved area of the battlefield was a solid investment for the Commonwealth.  “The more of this historic battlefield is protected, the more there is for visitors to see and explore. This effort reinforces and potentially expands the economic benefits of heritage tourism.”  

Another state official, Director of Historic Resources Kathleen Kilpatrick, praised the involvement of the Department of Transportation in historic preservation initiatives.  “In the 1860s, control of vital transportation infrastructure was often a driving force behind the conflict,” she said. “So it’s particularly fitting that, 150 years later, transportation enhancement grants have become a critical force in protecting those same hallowed grounds.”

Also speaking at the event was Lee Frame, chairman of the Orange County Board of Supervisors.  “Orange County is blessed with tremendous historic resources, ranging from reminders of the colonial era, through the Civil War and up to the present day.  Events like today’s remind us how privileged we are to be surrounded by so many irreplaceable treasures.”

Russ Smith, superintendent of Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park, which includes portions of the Wilderness Battlefield, offered his perspective on the significance of Grant’s Headquarters site.  “While Union army operations were spread across much of the Wilderness Gateway area along the boundary between Orange and Spotsylvania counties, this particular site was where overall Northern commander Ulysses Grant and his immediate subordinate George Meade spent their daylight hours during the battle,” Smith said.  “Imagining the decisions they made on this piece of ground and the lives that were affected by those choices is humbling indeed.”

Many historians consider the Battle of the Wilderness, fought May 5–7, 1864, to be “the beginning of the end” of the Civil War.  The engagement was the first time that legendary military leaders Grant and Confederate commander Robert E. Lee met in combat, as well as the opening salvo of the bloody Overland Campaign, which brought the Union armies to the outskirts of Richmond.  Fierce fighting in the fields and woods of the Wilderness caused nearly 30,000 casualties.

The newly preserved site joins other protected portions of the battlefield owned and maintained by several partner groups.  Ellwood, the site of today’s event, is operated by Friends of Wilderness Battlefield, which has raised an impressive $665,000 to date for the structure’s restoration, rehabilitation and interpretation.  In addition to the 2,774 acres of the Wilderness Battlefield inside Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park, the Central Virginia Battlefields Trust owns several parcels in the vicinity of the intersection of Routes 3 and 20 — notably the site of Grant’s evening campsite and tent cluster, as well as the original location of Wilderness Crossing, the historic junction of the Orange Turnpike and Orange Plank Road.   In 2010, the Civil War Trust completed a $1 million private fundraising campaign to purchase 49 acres inside the National Park boundary at Saunder’s Field.

The Civil War Trust is the largest nonprofit battlefield preservation organization in the United States.  Its goal is to preserve our nation’s endangered Civil War sites and to promote appreciation of these hallowed grounds through education and heritage tourism.  To date, the Trust has preserved more than 30,000 acres of battlefield land in 20 states, including 209 acres at the Wilderness.  Please visit the Trust’s website at www.civilwar.org, the home of the Civil War sesquicentennial.

Contacts

  • Jim Campi, (202) 367-1861, ext. 7205
  • Mary Koik, (202) 367-1861, ext. 7231

Related Links

Battlefields

###

Our Sponsors

Powered by Convio
nonprofit software