Find the answers to your questions about attending the Civil War Trust's 2016 Annual Conference "High Tide at Gettysburg" on June 1–5.
Your Trip | During Conference
FAQs for planning for your trip to Gettysburg
1. Where will the annual conference be held in Gettysburg?
All lectures, meals and the exhibit hall will take place at the Wyndham Gettysburg. The tours will leave and depart from the Wyndham, as well. The hotel is located at 95 Presidential Circle on the outskirts of Gettysburg. www.wyndham.com/gettysburg.
2. Do I need to stay at the Gettysburg Wyndham to participate in the Annual Conference?
No. You can stay anywhere!
3. If the Civil War Trust room blocks at the Wyndham and Overflow Hotels are sold out, what should I do about a room?
First send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and asked to be put on a waiting list for the host hotel. Please include the date of your arrival, departure, any special requests and the best way to contact you. Second, please visit www.destinationgettysburg.com to find a room that fits within your budget.
4. What are my travel options from the airport to Gettysburg?
Taxi rides from both Harrisburg and Dulles Airport will be over $130/one way. See Transportation Recommendations Here
5. What is the parking like at the Wyndham Gettysburg?
Parking is free, and there is plenty of it!
6. What are the closest airports to the Wyndham Gettysburg?
Harrisburg Airport (MDT) is approximately 45 miles to the hotel. Dulles Airport (IAD) is approximately 79 miles to the hotel. Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI) is approximately 63 miles to the hotel.
7. Will I need a car once I arrive at the hotel for the conference?
All activities that are scheduled will have transportation provided for you. Your only need for a car is for any off site trips you want to take on your own.
8. Is there any recommended reading to prepare for the areas we’ll be exploring during the Annual Conference?
Yes! A list of recommended reading can be found here: http://astore.amazon.com/civiwarprestr-20/
9. What else is there to see and do around Gettysburg?
Who better than the locals to give you a helping hand? www.destinationgettysburg.com
Also check our own Civil War Discovery Trail: www.civilwar.org/discoverytrail
FAQ for during the Annual Conference
1. What meals are included with my conference registration?
As part of your conference registration, you are provided with breakfast on Thursday through Sunday, lunch on Thursday through Saturday, and dinner on Saturday night. If you are a Color Bearer then you will be invited to attend the author dinner on Thursday night. There will be no meal provided for Friday evening. There will be a cash bar on Saturday night for the reception and dinner banquet.
2. What is a personal itinerary and why is it so important?
You will receive a personal itinerary on-site when you register. It will provide you with information about what tours and events you signed up for and when your specific tour lines up for departure. All tours depart at different times, so please be sure to remember when the tour you signed up for departs. We will not hold a bus for you if you are tardy, so please be sure to be on time.
3. Will there be Civil War Trust merchandise for sale at the Conference?
Yes! The Trust will have a very well stocked inventory of Civil War Trust items in the exhibit hall during the conference. If you are interested in something in particular, you can ask ahead of time to make sure that item will be in stock, or should be ordered ahead of time. You can contact Mary Stephens at email@example.com for these questions.
4. What is the attire during for the activities scheduled during the Annual Conference?
This is YOUR vacation, and we want you to be comfortable and casual, with closed toed walking shoes. However, for particular events, we can suggest the following:
Thursday Evening Color Bearer Dinner: Cocktail/Business Attire
Saturday Evening Banquet and Awards Ceremony: Cocktail/Business Attire
Also, please remember to check the weather and be prepared for any type of weather.
5. Will you have an exhibit hall during the conference?
Yes, we will have an extensive exhibit hall set up during the conference. You’ll be able to speak with groups and other people that are all interesting in Civil War Preservation. There will be books and other items for sale. The exhibit hall will be open on Wednesday, June 1 from 5:00pm-9:00pm, Thursday, June 2 from 7:30am – 7:30pm and Friday from 7:00am-9:00am. The exhibit hall will close after the buses leave for the daily tours on Friday.
6. I’m bringing my spouse and they aren’t interested in the Civil War. Are there any tours that might be of interest to them? If so, what is the cost?
Yes! We offer two non-Civil War Tours on our main tour days – Friday and Saturday. They are typically a combination of historic homes and gardens and other local tourist sites. The registration fee is the same for all participants.